Buy Indie Day was created by thriller author Joe Finder as a way to support and raise the profile of independent bookstores worldwide.
You can locate an independent bookstore near you at the IndieBound website at http://www.indiebound.org/indie-store-finder. Honestly, in South Florida it's difficult to find independent booksellers beyond our jewel in the crown, Books & Books, which is an hour away from where I live. I'll probably go to Murder on the Beach, a mystery bookshop in Delray Beach.
There's even a Facebook event page for Buy Indie Day, where you can RSVP to show your support, share the info with your Facebook friends, and post links or comments.
Why shop at independent bookstores instead of big box stores? Here are some convincing reasons from the IndieBound website:
When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:The Economy
- Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.